Archives by Category:
On God | On Death | On Hell | On Interfaith Issues | On Avoiding Indoctrination | On Religious Tolerance | On Religious Literacy | On Books | On Prayer | On Science, Politics & Law | Holiday Cheat Sheet
Archives by Religion:
Archives by Subject:
10 Commandments Advice Atheism Audience Participation Belief Bible Books Children Christianity Christmas Cute Dale McGowan Dawkins Death Freethinking Funny Giveaway God Hell Holiday Cheat Sheet Indoctrination Islam Jesus Judaism Kids Maxine Nonreligious parents parenting Relax It's Just God Religion Religious literacy Religious tolerance Secular families secular parenting Secular Parents Stereotypes Survey Talking to kids about religion Tolerance Wendy Thomas Russell
Archives by Month:
- When the 'Best' School is a Religious School
- "Mommy, What's Confession?"
- "Mommy, What's Catechism?"
- Quick! What the Hell is Vesak Day?
- Talking About Belief With Kids: When Logic Threatens to Overshadow Kindness
- Four Poignant Minutes from 'This American Life'
- Everything You Need to Know About Islam to Get Your Kids Up to Speed (Okay, Maybe Not EVERYTHING)
- Quick! What the Hell is St. Valentine's Day?
- Are Mormons Christian? Here's the Simple Answer
- 4 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Heading into a Confrontation
- Dynasty defenders: Religion no excuse for bigotry
- What's the Real Nativity Story? Kid, You Don't Want to Know
- Last Big Giveaway!
- The Secularization of Christmas Isn't Just Okay — It's Great
- What Should Kids Know about Religion? #Giveaway
- Coming Soon: Holiday Gift Ideas for Secular Families
- When Opinions Expressed Are Not Your Own
- Quick! What the Hell is Diwali?
- Back When We Were Funny: 10 Religious Costumes for Kids
- 'Very Religious Parents' Trying to Indoctrinate Their Grandkid
- Quick! What the Hell is Eid al-Adha?
- 'My Dearest Daughter': Letter from an Atheist Mom
- Embracing Religion 'For the Sake of the Kids'
- Measuring the Space Between Indoctrination, Brainwashing
- Don't Freak Out; It's Temporary
- Survey: Nearly Half of All Parents Uncomfortable Talking to Kids About Religion
- Addressing 'God' in Secular Families: When is the Right Time?
- Quick! What the Hell is Yom Kippur?
- 6 Things about Seventh-Day Adventists
- Quick! What the Hell is Rosh Hashanah?
- Kooky Religions 101
- When 'Religious Jokes' Cross a Line
- Two Items of Business for Secular Parents
- Crucifixion Story, As Told By a Freethinking 7-Year-Old
- Back In (Non)Action
- Turning 40 in 'The City of Love'
- It's a Fine Line Between Truth and Propaganda
- Quick! What the Hell is Ramadan?
- R-E-S-P-E-C-T: What Does it Mean to You?
- Help Inoculate Kids Against Meanness
- 7-Year-Old: 'Why Would God Care Whether I Believe in Him?'
- 4 Reasons I Love Being 'Out' as Nonreligious
- On Christians, Gay Marriage & Finding a Middle Ground
- 'Jesus Gosh!': Explaining Religious Sensitivity to a 4-Year-Old
- Who the Hell are 'Nones' Anyway?
- Is Prayer a 'Love Language?'
- Believers Behaving Badly
- 12 Simple Differences Between Catholics and Protestants
- It's Not a Competition: 8 Tips for Interfaith Parents
- 7 Tips for Dealing with Religious Relatives
- A Nonbeliever’s Near-Death Experience
- And the Coolest Mom Ever Award goes to…
- Quick! What the Hell is Pentecost?
- Daddy, Daughter Discuss God (Again); More Cuteness Ensues
- Benefits to Being a Secular Parent? Let Us Count the Ways
- Want Your Kids to Have An Easier Time Dealing With Death? Don't Send Them to Their Rooms to Cry
- Memory Candles a Secular Way for Kids to Honor Their Dead
- Fun Facts about Nones
- The Best Thing About Being a Secular Parent? You Tell Me!
- 12 Tips for Talking to Little Ones About Death
- Honoring Guru Nanak — And Whoever's Hanging On Your Wall
- Temporarily Suspended...
- Don't Just Hang in There: It's Time to Retire Certain Myths about Grief
- Thinking About the Best Ways to Comfort Grieving Kids? Think Again.
- Only Five Religious Books Have Won the Caldecott — Most Before 1963
- Quick! What the Hell is Easter?
- Quick! What the Hell is Holi?
- 12 Reasons We Indoctrinate Kids — and Why We Shouldn't
- Quick! What the Hell is Passover?
- 'Up Series' Captures the Magic of Age 7
- Nonreligious Parents a 'Niche' Market? Not By My Count
- Despite Controversy, World Religion Teacher Tells It Like It Is
- One Set of 'Footprints in the Sand' is Plenty for This Kid
- 15 Secular Songs to Share With Your Kids
- God's (Alleged) Gender Proves Problematic for Some Parents
- Inject Some Religious Literacy into Your Valentine's Day
- 10 Simple Ways to Mark Darwin's Birthday
- On 'Hell' and 'Evil' — and the Uselessness of Both Concepts
- A Few Changes Around Here
- What's Wrong with a Nativity Scene Made out of Dead Cats?
- This Blog Has Been Flagged as Inappropriate
- A Newer (And More Laid Back) Brand of Atheism
- The Game-Changer: 'I Have a Dream'
- 3 Must-Reads for Secular Parents
- An Interview with the Guy Who Named the 'Nones'
- Quick! What the Hell is Epiphany?
- Learning to Ignore Religious Reactions to School Shootings
- Discussing Death with Little Ones (Whose Deaths We Fear So Much)
- My Last Will and Testament (Sort Of)
- A Shopping Guide for Nonreligious Parents (Part II)
- Being Happy In Our Own Skin
- A Shopping Guide for Nonreligious Parents (Part I)
- Research Shows Baby Jesus Crazy Popular
- 75 Reasons to Share the Bible with Kids (Even if You Don't Believe Any of It)
- Taking the 'Myth' out of the Bible
- Yoga Class Indoctrinates Kids! (Um, Yeah, No)
- Stomach Flu: 2, Family: 0
- 'Day of the Dead' Might Just Be the Best Holiday Yet
- Quick! What the Hell is Hajj?
- Armstrong: 'If I wasn't a liar, a cheat, or a thief, then I believed that should be enough'
- Tip of the Day: Religious Barbie!
- Washington Post Blog Spotlights 'Relax, It's Just God'
- What Does Your Kid Really Know about Religion?
- 'The God Talk' Makes Prime Time
- BlogHer Spotlights Religious Charm Bracelet
- The Inheritance of Anxiety
- 'We'll Miss You When We're in Heaven and You're Not'
- 4 Reasons Not To Indoctrinate Kids Against Religion
- 'Daddy, Tell Me a Story About Science'
- Brief Tribute to Obscure Children's Book (P.S. #Giveaway)
- A Political Side Note: Relax, Democrats, It's Just 'God'
- Blog Turns One Year Old
- Creationism vs. Evolution: Bill Nye Gets Folks Talking
- God Saves! (But For Real This Time)
- 'My Friend Said If You Don't Believe in God, You Go Into Fire'
- Quick! What the Hell is Eid ul-Fitr?
- Raising Critical Thinkers Means Letting Our Kids Criticize Us
- Letting Kids Choose Their Clothes (And Their Faith)
- Sikhism in 60 Seconds
- Girl Scouts Flap Rears Its Silly Head Once Again
- Do You Share Negative Views about Religion with Your Kids?
- Must We 'Come Out' as Nonreligious?
- Religious Charm Bracelet, Anyone?… Anyone?
- On Tom, Katie and Interfaith Families
- Don't Label Me, Man
- Why Secular Parents Should Do the Santa Thing
- 12 Mistakes Parents Make When Talking to Kids About Death (Part II)
- 12 Mistakes Parents Make When Talking to Kids About Death (Part I)
- Heaven Doesn’t Help Us: Talking to Kids about Death
- Images of Faith (and Non-faith)
- How to Tell if Your Child is 'Ready' to Talk about God
- Is a Lack of Vomit the Best We Can Offer?
- You Don't Have to Be Religious to Sing about God
- Where's an Omniscient Policeman When You Need One?
- O We of Little Faith: Highlights from Nonreligious Survey
- Teachable Moment Goes Up in Flames
- Religious Parent, Secular Child: The New Culture Clash
- Changing Minds Is More Fun When It's Your Own
- My Kid is Ignorant — Isn't That Hilarious?
- 'But What if Santa Believes in God?'
- 'Relax, It's Just God' Featured in Psychology Today
- Alain De Botton's 'Atheism 2.0' Cheapened by Temple Talk
- Religious Picture Books Have Much to Offer — But Choose Wisely
- Honk If You Love Jesus*
- Travel Break!
- What Happens When You Don't Tell Your Kid About Religion? Only Really Terrible Things, That's All.
- The God Book: A Tale for Children
- ‘Kids Who Don’t Believe in God go to a Very, Very Bad School’
- Stereotypes Broken, A Winner is Chosen
- Has a Religious Person Ever Surprised You?
- Jesus & Julia: A Tribute to Real Books
- Nonreligious Parents: It Only Takes a Few Minutes to Make a Big Difference
- Honesty, Shmonesty: When Did Lying to Kids Get Such a Bad Wrap?
- There’s a Word for That, and the Word is Bigot
- 'Troubled Youth Such as You Burn in Hell'
- For Your Consideration: The Whirling Dervish
- God, That's Funny!
- Help Break New Ground! Participate in Survey of Nonreligious Parents
- Talking to Kids About Death Need Not Be Depressing
- Lucretius is The Man
- An Interview with Matt Logelin: Widower, Dad and Nonbeliever
- Put Your Hands Up, and Step Away from the Ideology
- Holiday Cheat Sheet for Nonreligious Parents
- Confessions of a ‘Notorious Atheist Who Inflitrated the Girl Scouts’
- "You Worship the Devil!" "You're Homophobic!" ... Um, Guys?
- Merry Evergreen
- Quick! What the Hell is Christmas?
- Those Scary Three-Letter Words
- Quick! What the Hell is Hanukkah?
- When 'I'm Praying for You' Feels Like an Insult
- When the Godless Pray
- Newsflash: Not All Scientists are Assholes
- 'Dear Abby' for the Heathen Set
- The Bible + LEGOs = Pure Genius
- True Religion (And Reality) is in the Eye of the Beholder
- Thanksgiving 'Prayers' for Secular Families
- 10 Commandments for Talking to Kids About Religion
- Bonus Blog: Responding to a Reader About the 'M' Word
- Judge Not, for There are Few Things More Annoying than a Judgey-Ass Parent
- Survey Says!
- 'I Love God, Even Though God Is Not Real'
- Respecting Things We Don't Believe
- Consolation (Without Religion) for a Grieving Child
- Cheers! God Can Kill You With the Push of a Button
- Kick This Ass for a Man
- Thou Shalt Give Away Free Stuff
- Enter the Action Figure
- 'God Talk' Doesn't Come Naturally to Every Parent
- Church Is Fun! (Or Is It?)
- 5 Reasons I’ll Read Your Blog (And Why I Might Not)
- Religion Doesn't Kill People; People Kill People
- Daddy, Daughter Discuss God; Cuteness Ensues
- To Talk, or Not to Talk... It Shouldn't Be a Question
- What God Looks Like (Surprising, I know)
- The 'G' Word: An Excerpt from My Book (And My Life)