For parents who aren’t religious, the task of talking to children about religion can be daunting. So daunting, in fact, that the entire subject often gets glossed over or ignored completely. Relax, It’s Just God is a blog (and soon a book) intended to help parents break their silence without breaking a sweat.
On Dealing with Religious Loved Ones
On Avoiding Indoctrination
On Religious Tolerance
On Religious Literacy
On Science, Politics & Law
Holiday Cheat Sheet
Mommy What's That?
- My Kid’s New (And Adorably Diplomatic) Theory of Evolution By Wendy Thomas Russell | April 22, 2014
- My daughter has this tendency to go all existentialist on me while riding in the car. I’m not sure what it is about this particular setting that motivates these sorts of talks. Is it sitting still with nothing else to do? Is it gazing up at the sky? Do all kids do this? Anyway, the other day, while driving Maxine and one of her friends to the pool, I listened as the two struck up a conversation about God. I can’t remember how it started (I didn’t turn on the voice recorder until later), but […] Read more – ‘My Kid’s New (And Adorably Diplomatic) Theory of Evolution’.
- 5 Reasons to ‘Design Your Own Deity’ By Wendy Thomas Russell | April 7, 2014
- When I first found this “Design Your Own Deity” magnetic play set, I was a little pissed at you. Yes, you. All 15 of you. Because if you guys would have just TOLD me that this existed, I would not have been forced to find it, completely randomly, behind a bunch of other cheese-ball stuff at a warehouse-sized gift emporium in Palm Springs this weekend. “Seriously,” I thought, holding this priceless* item in my hands and trying to conjure each of your 15 faces. “Do you guys even know me anymore? There is literally nothing I […] Read more – ‘5 Reasons to ‘Design Your Own Deity’’.
- It’s a Gift from God, Y’all By Wendy Thomas Russell | April 3, 2014
- Want to know what the Bible says but don’t want to read the damn thing? Yeah, you’re not alone. But Good News! In his newly published book, God is Disappointed in You, author Mark Russell has managed to rewrite the Bible—in all its crazy glory—the way you and I and, frankly, anyone under age 80 would rather read it. While completely accurate, Russell uses layman’s terms, contemporary metaphors, well-appointed slang and plenty of profanity to liven things up. And the best part? It’s short. Like short-short. Like, the entire 2,000-page Bible is condensed into 192 pages. And that […] Read more – ‘It’s a Gift from God, Y’all’.
- That is Called Dying (More or Less) By Wendy Thomas Russell | March 24, 2014
- I’ve written reams about how to talk with children about death without resorting to religious imagery. My daughter nails it in a single sentence. I’m beginning to think I’m no longer needed here. Read more – ‘That is Called Dying (More or Less)’.
- Quick! What the Hell is Ash Wednesday? By admin | March 5, 2014
- So much of religion centers on food. The faithful, it seems, are constantly feasting or fasting. Indulging or holding back. In Christianity, this feasting-fasting cycle is never more apparent than during the Easter season, which kicks off with Mardi Gras (feasting!), followed by Lent (fasting!), which finally — and mercifully — culminates in Easter (feasting again!) Yesterday was Mardi Gras (AKA Fat Tuesday) — which means New Orleans had one hell of a street party. Many Catholics were getting their ya-ya’s out because today is the beginning of Lent (AKA Ash Wednesday) — the day that millions of […] Read more – ‘Quick! What the Hell is Ash Wednesday?’.