For parents who aren’t religious, the task of talking to children about religion can be daunting. So daunting, in fact, that the entire subject often gets glossed over or ignored completely. Relax, It’s Just God is a blog (and soon a book) intended to help parents break their silence without breaking a sweat.
On Dealing with Religious Loved Ones
On Avoiding Indoctrination
On Religious Tolerance
On Religious Literacy
On Science, Politics & Law
Holiday Cheat Sheet
Mommy What's That?
- New Blog, New Opportunity, New Terror By Wendy Thomas Russell | September 15, 2014
- Pack your bags, folks. We’re hittin’ the road. As of this week, I’ll be hosting a brand-spanking-new blog over on Patheos called Natural Wonderers: Raising Curious, Compassionate Kids in a Secular Family. The idea for the blog came from Dale McGowan, who is now a managing editor there and invited me to take on the project this summer. The timing is perfect, as I’ve just wrapped up my book (due for release in January) and will tasked with promoting it over the next six or eight months. The archives from this blog have already been moved over to the new digs and, at […] Read more – ‘New Blog, New Opportunity, New Terror’.
- Last Call! By Wendy Thomas Russell | July 15, 2014
- Big news! I finished my book! Relax, It’s Just God: How and Why to Talk to Your Kids About Religion When You’re Not Religious is slated for release Jan. 6, 2015 — just in time to not be given out as Christmas gifts. What timing! I’m super excited, and grateful to all of you who have stuck with me all this time. How did four years go by? Jesus Christ. My kid is old now. I’ll be updating you as regularly as I can, but in the meantime, let this serve as last call: If you’d like something specifically to […] Read more – ‘Last Call!’.
- When the ‘Best’ School is a Religious School By Wendy Thomas Russell | May 29, 2014
- This is an issue that comes up a lot in secular families. (So much so that I’m not sure why I’ve not written about it sooner.) In so many areas of our country, religious organizations have cornered the preschool market. (I remember when I was school-shopping for my daughter, religious preschools outnumbered Montessori-based programs 5-to-1.) Which brings me to a letter I received recently from a reader who lives in the Chattanooga area — not exactly the country’s secular epicenter. Not surprisingly, the most convenient, affordable and trustworthy preschool in her area is at a Baptist […] Read more – ‘When the ‘Best’ School is a Religious School’.
- “Mommy, What’s Confession?” By Wendy Thomas Russell | May 22, 2014
- Last week, I gave you some simple language with which to explain Catechism in a non-religious way. Today, because it’s sort of related, we’ll tackle one of the specific rites of passage taught at CCD: Confession. First, let me say this, rites of passage are massively important parts of organized religion. Without rites, there would be nothing to be affiliated with, nothing to conform to, nothing to hold a group together. Beliefs are important, too — don’t get me wrong! — but beliefs are more like the foundation. Customs are the framework. They make religion religion, rather than […] Read more – ‘“Mommy, What’s Confession?”’.
- “Mommy, What’s Catechism?” By Wendy Thomas Russell | May 15, 2014
- This segment of “Mommy, What’s That?” — a series where you can find simple, straightforward and age-appropriate language to explain religious ideas to children in non-religious ways — comes courtesy of a reader, Chris. Chris told me that some of his daughter’s friends are in CCD — short for the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine AKA “Catechism” — and he is having a little trouble coming up with the language to explain it to his little one. If you don’t know already, CCD is basically Catholic instruction for kids who attend secular schools. It’s meant to 1) teach about […] Read more – ‘“Mommy, What’s Catechism?”’.