Due out in March 2015, Relax, It's Just God: How and Why to Talk to Your Kids About Religion When You're Not Religious offers a well-researched look at a timely subject: secular parenting. With chapters on avoiding indoctrination, talking about death, vaccinating kids against intolerance, dealing with religious baggage, and getting along with religious relatives, the book offers a refreshingly compassionate approach to raising religiously literate, highly tolerant and critically thinking children capable of making up their own minds about what to believe. The book may be pre-ordered by visiting Brown Paper Press.
Natural Wonderers is my new blog published by the Patheos faith network. An extension of my previous blog — Relax, It's Just God — Natural Wonderers offers stories and advice on raising curious, compassionate children in secular families.
Facebook: Wendy Thomas Russell
Google+: Wendy Thomas Russell
Brown Paper Press: brownpaperpress.com
Amazon: Wendy Thomas Russell
Goodreads: Wendy Thomas Russell
- ‘Science Stories’ on the NewsHour By Wendy Thomas Russell | January 29, 2015
- After the rather surprising (and surprisingly controversial) success of my last parenting column for the PBS NewsHour’s website — which garnered more than 700,000 page views and and was featured briefly at the tail end of the TV broadcast (!!) — the NewsHour has been kind enough to publish another of my columns. This one is about the joys of watching Charlie give Maxine a true and abiding appreciation for science, the kind I never had myself as a child. I hope you’ll check it out. Here’s the link. Read more – ‘‘Science Stories’ on the NewsHour’.
- The Case for Having Only One Child By Wendy Thomas Russell | January 13, 2015
- Parenting an only? If so, you’ve probably heard the litany of reasons to have more children. (Haven’t we all?) But there are two sides to every story, and to provide a bit of balance (and humor) to the procreation debate, I’ve written an essay in defense of making your kid an only. It was published this morning over at the PBS NewsHour, and I’d be awfully grateful if you gave it read. Read more – ‘The Case for Having Only One Child’.
- For Your Viewing Murdertainment By Wendy Thomas Russell | January 7, 2015
- In my prior life, I was a newspaper reporter covering murder trials. One of them involved the murder-for-hire of a Long Bech mother named Lynn Schockner. The case gained national attention because two police officers were actually on the front porch of her home while her throat was being slashed on the back patio. It would have been a comedy of errors if it weren’t such a tragedy. As it turned out, the police had done nothing at all wrong. They were simply investigating a possible prowler in the neighborhood and had no idea there was […] Read more – ‘For Your Viewing Murdertainment’.
- Undoing the Santa Lie By Wendy Thomas Russell | December 15, 2014
- If you have a free moment — Hahahahaha, like anyone has those anymore — head over to the PBS NewsHour site and check out my column about lying to kids about Santa. Although I think there are perfectly good reasons for doing the Santa thing and for NOT doing the Santa thing, I’ve got some advice for those like myself who have entered Santa territory lightly but worry a bit about the fallout when the Truth prevails. In the end, I realized that what’s important isn’t how parents do the whole Santa thing with their kids, but […] Read more – ‘Undoing the Santa Lie’.
- NewsHour Twitter Chat By Wendy Thomas Russell | December 11, 2014
- A big thank you to the PBS NewsHour for inviting me to join last week’s Twitter Chat about what works and what doesn’t when it comes to celebrating holidays in multicultural or interfaith homes. I joined two other authors and NewsHour data producer Laura Santhanam, and it was a lot of rapid-fire fun. I’m told a full article on the NewsHour website is forthcoming, and will keep you posted. Read more – ‘NewsHour Twitter Chat’.
- New Blog: Natural Wonderers By Wendy Thomas Russell | September 15, 2014
- Pack your bags, folks. We’re hittin’ the road. As of this week, I’ll be hosting a brand-spanking-new blog over on Patheos called Natural Wonderers: Raising Curious, Compassionate Kids in a Secular Family. The idea for the blog came from Dale McGowan, who is now a managing editor there and invited me to take on the project this summer. The timing is perfect, as I’ve just wrapped up my book (due for release in March) and will tasked with promoting it over the next six or eight months. The archives from this blog have already been moved over to the new digs and, at […] Read more – ‘New Blog: Natural Wonderers’.
- Relax, It’s Just God: Last Call! By Wendy Thomas Russell | July 15, 2014
- Big news! I finished my book! Relax, It’s Just God: How and Why to Talk to Your Kids About Religion When You’re Not Religious is slated for release March 31, 2015 — just in time to not be given out as Christmas gifts. What timing! I’m super excited, and grateful to all of you who have stuck with me all this time. How did four years go by? Jesus Christ. My kid is old now. I’ll be updating you as regularly as I can, but in the meantime, let this serve as last call: If you’d like something specifically to […] Read more – ‘Relax, It’s Just God: Last Call!’.
- When the ‘Best’ School is a Religious School By Wendy Thomas Russell | May 29, 2014
- This is an issue that comes up a lot in secular families. (So much so that I’m not sure why I’ve not written about it sooner.) In so many areas of our country, religious organizations have cornered the preschool market. (I remember when I was school-shopping for my daughter, religious preschools outnumbered Montessori-based programs 5-to-1.) Which brings me to a letter I received recently from a reader who lives in the Chattanooga area — not exactly the country’s secular epicenter. Not surprisingly, the most convenient, affordable and trustworthy preschool in her area is at a Baptist […] Read more – ‘When the ‘Best’ School is a Religious School’.