For parents who aren’t religious, the task of talking to children about religion can be daunting. So daunting, in fact, that the entire subject often gets glossed over or ignored completely. Relax, It’s Just God is a blog (and soon a book) intended to help parents break their silence without breaking a sweat.
- Quick! What the Hell is Vesak Day? By Wendy Thomas Russell | May 24, 2013
- Man, I loves me some Buddhism. But then, again, who doesn’t? It’s all just so common sensical. By following even one tenant in the Buddha’s Noble Eightfold Path — or at least trying — you are almost guaranteed to improve your life. If the Buddha were alive today, I’m certain he would be a self-help guru. He’d make a damn good one, too. Although Buddhism is unlike any other religion (in that you don’t necessarily need to believe a deity at all), it’s still got some of the classic markers. And the fact that there are [...] Read more – ‘Quick! What the Hell is Vesak Day?’.
- And the Coolest Mom Ever Award goes to… By Wendy Thomas Russell | May 23, 2013
- This post originally appeared on Oct. 13, 2011 One of the nice things about having a blog is that you get to think of something and then announce it like it has some sort of real meaning. So today I decided Relax, It’s Just God is giving out its Coolest Mom Ever Award. Before you send in your nominations, which you were never going to do but it makes me feel good to think that you would have, I should probably mention that a winner already has been named. She was chosen — completely subjectively [...] Read more – ‘And the Coolest Mom Ever Award goes to…’.
- Should Kids Be Told All Religious Stories are ‘Myths’? By Wendy Thomas Russell | May 20, 2013
- I’m facing some deadlines over the next few weeks that are going to make it very tough to generate new blogs of any merit. But I’m hoping — PRAYING! (but not really) — that you guys will stick around anyway. Subscribers, I’m talking to you here. BEAR WITH ME. PLEASE DO NOT UNSUBSCRIBE. IT’S ONLY THREE WEEKS. Starting today, I’m going to run six of my most well-read and/or controversial blogs of the last two years. I’ve chosen them based on number of page views, number of comments, or the level of contentiousness within the [...] Read more – ‘Should Kids Be Told All Religious Stories are ‘Myths’?’.
- Quick! What the Hell is Pentecost? By Wendy Thomas Russell | May 16, 2013
- From a historical perspective, Christianity didn’t start with Jesus’ birth, his death, or even his storied ascension to heaven. It started with Pentecost — the day the “Holy Spirit” entered a room holding Jesus’ apostles and entered each of them, an event which — as my minister uncle tells me — “makes the church the church.” Although Pentecost is chock full of religious significance, it is a holiday not widely celebrated. Sort of the opposite of Hanukkah, which is widely celebrated but not religiously important. My uncle says Pentecost is a bigger deal in liturgical churches, which [...] Read more – ‘Quick! What the Hell is Pentecost?’.