I like to describe Relax, It's Just God: How and Why to Talk to Your Kids About Religion When You're Not Religious (March 2015) as the secular equivalent of a godsend for parents unsure about how to address religion with their kids.
My blog, Natural Wonderers, is hosted on the Patheos faith network and offers stories, news, information and advice on raising curious, compassionate and religiously literate children in nonreligious families.
In 2014, I co-founded a small press in Long Beach, Calif. The mission of Brown Paper Press is to engage readers on topics of contemporary culture through quality writing and thoughtful design.
Launch party for RELAX, IT'S JUST GOD • March 28: 5 PM - 7 PM • Apostrophe Books • 5229 E. Second St. • Long Beach, CA • For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Lecture for CFI's Feed Your Brain series • May 3: 11 AM • Center for Inquiry • 4773 Hollywood Blvd. • Hollywood, CA • Click here for details
Facebook: Wendy Thomas Russell
Google+: Wendy Thomas Russell
Brown Paper Press: brownpaperpress.com
Amazon: Wendy Thomas Russell
Goodreads: Wendy Thomas Russell
- A Starred Review from the Library Journal, and Other Good News By Wendy Thomas Russell | May 18, 2015
- Like all writers (and actors and musicians and anyone else whose livelihood depends not on a boss but on an audience), I’m somewhat desperate for public approval at all times. So seeing the Library Journal‘s review of Relax, It’s Just God, published in Friday’s edition, was like eating a chicken pot pie while sitting in a hot tub watching old re-runs of MASH. It just felt good is what I’m trying to say. On a basic level. It felt good. Because it’s not a long review and because I’m so fucking proud of it, I’m going to go ahead and include the entire thing here, complete with […] Read more – ‘A Starred Review from the Library Journal, and Other Good News’.
- Publication Day! By Wendy Thomas Russell | March 31, 2015
- Relax, It’s Just God officially launches today! You can order the book on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, directly from Brown Paper Press or at select bookstores. If you don’t see it in your bookstore, request that they stock it! If you ask, they probably will. Also check out early reviews — including reviews by Kirkus and The Humanist. The PBS NewsHour has posted my 10 Commandments for talking to kids about religion, and Deborah Kalb has done a Q&A with me, which you can find here. Also, if you missed it, and are interested, you can find coverage of Relax, It’s Just God […] Read more – ‘Publication Day!’.
- Relax, It’s Just a Book Trailer (The Joke That Never Gets Old) By Wendy Thomas Russell | March 27, 2015
- Book trailers? Seriously? They are BOOKS, people. LIKE, AS IN, FOR READING. In other news, here’s the trailer for my new book. :-) I had the stomach flu that day, so was feeling my very best, as you can imagine. That’s why I’m so goddamn serious. (“You can stand anything for 10 seconds!” I kept telling myself, à la the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. “Then you just start on a new 10 seconds!” And you know what? It kinda worked.) Anyway, hopefully you enjoy it. Please share it around if you’re so inclined. O Read more – ‘Relax, It’s Just a Book Trailer (The Joke That Never Gets Old)’.
- Launch Party Set for ‘Relax, It’s Just God’ By Wendy Thomas Russell | March 25, 2015
- They say launching a book is like having a baby. They are wrong about that. Because blood, that’s why. And pain. And your mom pacing anxiously outside the door to the maternity ward because the nurses had been SO RIDICULOUSLY CONFIDENT that yours was going to be a brief labor — so confident they even talked you into letting the goddamn epidural run out, rather than refilling the bag — and now it’s been 30 minutes (THIRTY FREAKING MINUTES!) and no adult has come out of the room yet, and no baby has cried, and your mom is going to have a full-on panic attack if […] Read more – ‘Launch Party Set for ‘Relax, It’s Just God’’.
- I’m Glad I Came Out as an Atheist — Just Not on Salon By Wendy Thomas Russell | March 21, 2015
- I wrote a piece for AlterNet a couple of days ago titled 4 Reasons I’m Glad I Came Out as an Atheist, which has gotten a lot of positive attention and, I’m told, will be re-published in the next edition of Freethought Today, a newspaper (an actual newspaper, printed on, like, actual paper — talking about freethinking!) put out by the Freedom from Religion Foundation. “Also-ran” mention goes to Salon, which picked up the AlterNet story (as they often do) but then managed to cheapen the entire thing by tweeting it under a grossly misleading headline: “Being an atheist […] Read more – ‘I’m Glad I Came Out as an Atheist — Just Not on Salon’.
- Recounting a Tale of Abuse and Murder By Wendy Thomas Russell | March 5, 2015
- So the Dateline NBC segment about the murder-for-hire of Lynn Schockner airs tomorrow night at 9 PM PST (should you go in for that sort of thing.) I wrote a heck of a lot of stories for the Long Beach Press-Telegram about the murder back in the mid-00’s (??), but this was my favorite — written after all the trials had concluded. Lynn and her young son, Charlie, had been abused for years by Lynn’s husband/Charlie’s dad Manfred Schockner — the criminal “mastermind” behind the whole deal. (Although there was little mastery involved in this particular crime.) Jurors were never […] Read more – ‘Recounting a Tale of Abuse and Murder’.
- NewsHour Picks Up Holiday Cheat Sheet By Wendy Thomas Russell | March 5, 2015
- My Holiday Cheatsheet for Nonreligious Parents is gaining a wider audience, having been picked up recently by the PBS NewsHour website. (Have I mentioned how much I love working with those guys?!) First, they ran my piece on Ash Wednesday and Lent. Then, this week, they ran my piece on Purim. You may have noticed they are a bit more conservative in their word usage; whereas it was originally called: “Quick! What the Hell is Purim?,” The NewsHour changed it to “Quick! What the Heck is Purim?” Oh, PBS. You are so PG. But who’s complaining? Read more – ‘NewsHour Picks Up Holiday Cheat Sheet’.
- That Time I Wasn’t Hung Up On By a Radio Host By Wendy Thomas Russell | February 10, 2015
- The first time I was interviewed for a radio station was 15 years ago. The BBC called me to talk about a political convention I had been covering. I was so nervous and exhausted from a long day. And they threw a question at me that I wasn’t prepared to answer. I don’t remember what I said, but I was apparently just terrible because the host thanked me for my time about seven seconds into the interview and then hung up on me. Nothing more humbling than being hung up on by the BBC, people. Anyway, this morning, I was interviewed again — this […] Read more – ‘That Time I Wasn’t Hung Up On By a Radio Host’.