For parents who aren’t religious, the task of talking to children about religion can be daunting. So daunting, in fact, that the entire subject often gets glossed over or ignored completely. Relax, It’s Just God is a blog (and soon a book) intended to help parents break their silence without breaking a sweat.
- Last Big Giveaway! By Wendy Thomas Russell | December 2, 2013
- You’re so over the holiday giveaways. I get it. I’m sorry. While fun for some, these things become tiresome very fast; and for those of you who have grown the most tired, your respite is coming soon, I promise. But first… one last giveaway! Featuring a canvas Heroes of Science tote bag, four books (The Christmas Story by Brendan Powell Smith, The ‘God’ Part of the Brain: A Scientific Interpretation of Human Spirituality and God by Matthew Alper, Bang! How we Came to Be by Michael Rubino, the DK Children’s Illustrated Bible) and an adorable magnet featuring Charles Darwin, […] Read more – ‘Last Big Giveaway!’.
- The Secularization of Christmas Isn’t Just Okay — It’s Great By Wendy Thomas Russell | December 2, 2013
- Start your engines, folks, the War on Christmas is here again! This time it’s Sarah Palin leading the charge with her new book: Good Tidings and Great Joy: Protecting the Heart of Christmas. Released a couple of weeks ago, the book is apparently — brace yourself, this is shocking — really, really awful. The Daily Beast’s Candida Moss actually read the damn thing (bless her heart) and came away with a whole lot of nothing. “Ultimately,” Moss wrote in her review, “this is a Christmas of no-bake cookies, half-baked theology, and pre-packaged Christmas stories.” By way […] Read more – ‘The Secularization of Christmas Isn’t Just Okay — It’s Great’.
- What Should Kids Know about Religion? #Giveaway By Wendy Thomas Russell | November 25, 2013
- If you’re reading this blog, it’s very likely that you 1) are a secular parent, and 2) want your kid to know something about matters of faith and religion. And that, as you know, makes you a superior human being. Because you know that only through religious literacy can we satisfy our kids’ natural curiosity, protect them from confusion and ignorance; ensure that they are given a context for religious beliefs; and instill in them a true sense of tolerance for other belief systems. But I’m curious: What exactly do you think kids need know […] Read more – ‘What Should Kids Know about Religion? #Giveaway’.
- ‘Relax, It’s Just God’ Holiday Giveaway #1 By Wendy Thomas Russell | November 18, 2013
- Here’s a chance to win a very freaking cool canvas tote (as featured in last week’s 15 Holiday Gifts for Secular Parents) and a hard-to-come-by (i.e. sold out on Amazon) copy of Brendan Powell Smith‘s “The Christmas Story” — a completely accurate portrayal of Jesus’ birth story, as told in the New Testament, done entirely out of LEGOs. It’s only through open, honest and frequent conversations with kids about the Big Questions — and a compassionate approach to the beliefs (and non-beliefs) of others — that we can hope to end the pattern of hate, fear, ridicule […] Read more – ‘‘Relax, It’s Just God’ Holiday Giveaway #1’.
- 15 Holiday Gift Ideas for Secular Families By Wendy Thomas Russell | November 11, 2013
- Generally speaking, gift ideas geared toward us non-religious types tend to fall into three basic categories: Snarky T-Shirts & Bumper Stickers, Comedic TV Shows and Movies and Books Espousing Atheism. There is some variation in there, of course. Sometimes books espouse freethinking. Sometimes the movies are more satirical in nature. Sometimes snarky comments come on wearable pins. (Like this one!) That said, this list is a bit different. These particular gifts are not meant to arm nonbelievers with ways to out-logic religious people, or to advertise non-belief, or to reinforce feelings of superiority. They’re just simple items likely to appeal […] Read more – ‘15 Holiday Gift Ideas for Secular Families’.