Due out in March 2015, Relax, It's Just God: How and Why to Talk to Your Kids About Religion When You're Not Religious offers a well-researched look at a timely subject: secular parenting. With chapters on avoiding indoctrination, talking about death, vaccinating kids against intolerance, dealing with religious baggage, and getting along with religious relatives, the book offers a refreshingly compassionate approach to raising religiously literate, highly tolerant and critically thinking children capable of making up their own minds about what to believe. The book may be pre-ordered by visiting Brown Paper Press.
Natural Wonderers is a new blog hosted by Wendy Thomas Russell and published by the Patheos faith network. An extension of Russell's previous blog — Relax, It's Just God — Natural Wonderers offers stories and advice on raising curious, compassionate children in secular families.
- Undoing the Santa Lie By Wendy Thomas Russell | December 15, 2014
- If you have a free moment — Hahahahaha, like anyone has those anymore — head over to the PBS NewsHour site and check out my column about lying to kids about Santa. Although I think there are perfectly good reasons for doing the Santa thing and for NOT doing the Santa thing, I’ve got some advice for those like myself who have entered Santa territory lightly but worry a bit about the fallout when the Truth prevails. In the end, I realized that what’s important isn’t how parents do the whole Santa thing with their kids, but […] Read more – ‘Undoing the Santa Lie’.
- NewsHour Twitter Chat By Wendy Thomas Russell | December 11, 2014
- A big thank you to the PBS NewsHour for inviting me to join last week’s Twitter Chat about what works and what doesn’t when it comes to celebrating holidays in multicultural or interfaith homes. I joined two other authors and NewsHour data producer Laura Santhanam, and it was a lot of rapid-fire fun. I’m told a full article on the NewsHour website is forthcoming, and will keep you posted. Read more – ‘NewsHour Twitter Chat’.
- New Blog: Natural Wonderers By Wendy Thomas Russell | September 15, 2014
- Pack your bags, folks. We’re hittin’ the road. As of this week, I’ll be hosting a brand-spanking-new blog over on Patheos called Natural Wonderers: Raising Curious, Compassionate Kids in a Secular Family. The idea for the blog came from Dale McGowan, who is now a managing editor there and invited me to take on the project this summer. The timing is perfect, as I’ve just wrapped up my book (due for release in March) and will tasked with promoting it over the next six or eight months. The archives from this blog have already been moved over to the new digs and, at […] Read more – ‘New Blog: Natural Wonderers’.
- Relax, It’s Just God: Last Call! By Wendy Thomas Russell | July 15, 2014
- Big news! I finished my book! Relax, It’s Just God: How and Why to Talk to Your Kids About Religion When You’re Not Religious is slated for release March 31, 2015 — just in time to not be given out as Christmas gifts. What timing! I’m super excited, and grateful to all of you who have stuck with me all this time. How did four years go by? Jesus Christ. My kid is old now. I’ll be updating you as regularly as I can, but in the meantime, let this serve as last call: If you’d like something specifically to […] Read more – ‘Relax, It’s Just God: Last Call!’.